Sunday, July 6, 2008

Never out ot the coverage

Here is an idea I found interesting and worth writing about while reading a post about communication in a blog of one guy who seems to be so cool that I'm afraid has no need in bloggers like me to be cited by :-).

The idea was that the new means of communication like cell phones with abilities to send and receive text messages, voice mails, emails, and notifications about missed calls instantly during 24 hours a day make it really difficult to hide from people you don't want to communicate with at the moment. You just can't say you weren't aware they were trying to contact you. Any serious delay to answer or call back may cause a justified discontent of the "caller".

I myself recently "enjoyed" this gift of technology with my mother who always suspects me in reluctance to "find time for your only mother", and who during one weekend was trying to connect me by cell phone, sms and email.

It seems to me this feature of new technologies is changing our communication environment and habits dramatically. It changes our expectations for other people's avaliability, and requires more sophisticated communication strategies than just not to pick up the phone. It learns us to solve problems in a real time mode since any try to delay it by just ignoring any person's inquiries make chances for a good problem settlement worse...


No comments: